Gwynedd and Anglesey Schools Counselling Service


From September 2022 the Counseling Service will be available again in Gwynedd and Anglesey secondary and primary schools; virtual provision will also be available for those who wish.

You can refer pupils to us through the referral form, and is available in the 'Resources' Section below. Pupils can also self-refer.

For any queries please contact: or 07815 597244.

Who receives this service?

A service that is available to Gwynedd and Anglesey secondary and primary schools.

What does the service offer?

It is a confidential and professional Counselling Service that is available for 10 to 18 year olds who attend Gwynedd and Anglesey schools. The service is provided by qualified and experienced counsellors at every school in the area for children and young people who have suffered emotionally over time. 

For example, children and young people can make use of the service if they:

  • Feel depressed
  • Suffer from anxiety
  • Have low self-esteem/lack confidence. 
  • Self-harm 
  • Suffer emotionally due to parents divorce, bereavement, stress of school work/examinations, problems with friendships/sweethearts, sexuality, bullying, family problems.
  • Require referral to mental health specialist services

 Counselling provides opportunity to:

  • Confidentially discuss issues with a neutral person. 
  • Reduce anxiety.
  • Get help to understand and deal with emotional problems. 
  • Get to know yourself better and develop self-awareness. 

Matters discussed with a counsellor are confidential; the counsellor will not divulge any information without the client (young person’s) consent. Usually, if a young person is over 14 years of age and/or is eligible to consent to counselling, a parent’s consent to see a counsellor is not required. If the counsellor is of the view that a client is in any kind of danger, information will need to be divulged to ensure safety.

Who's in the team?
Senior Counsellor  

Wendi Jones


Deneise Jones

Rhian Haf Connell

Mared Llwyd-Roberts

Nia Wyn Williams

Karen Wyn Jones

Tudur Williams

Glesni Prytherch

Mirain Glyn

How to access the service?

Who can refer?

Professional workers who work with the young person, parents or a young person can self-refer.

How to make a referrel?

A referral form will have to be completed that is available at the school or see the 'Resources' Section below.

There is need to ensure that children and young people who are referred to the service are:

  • Aware of what counselling is and consent to the referral.
  • Are between 10 and 18 years old and attend a school in Gwynedd/Anglesey.
  • Are willing to attend regular sessions voluntarily for a short period, as a rule 6 weekly sessions.


Next steps

Once the Counselling Service have received a referral, it will be placed on a waiting list for the area. The referrals will be processed by date and in certain areas, this can be a lengthy waiting list. Individuals will be offered a date to meet the area counsellor who will assess and agree on the way forward with the young person. That may imply up to 6+ weekly sessions of meeting with the counsellor at the school. The service is available on specific days in every area during the school term only, the counselling service is not an emergency service. 


Inappropriate referrals

A referral may be inaprropriate if a child/young person:

Has been ofefred therapeutic support from another service.  

  • That there is an immediate risk of suicide, serious selfharm, psychotic behaviour – an emergency hospital referral should be made.
  • That there is a real risk of self-harm or harm to others. 
  • Part of a legal process – need to ensure that the police protocol is followed of therapy prior to a court case. 


Other considerations.

If, in the counsellor’s opinion, that the child is eligible under Gillick rules (Gillick competence) the child/ young person is entitled to see a counsellor without parents/carers/teachers consent. 

Contact is recommended between workers if the referral is made by Children and Young People Mental Health Service (CAMHS) or by a GP.

The counsellor may judge that the service is inappropriate for certain referrals, the individual who is referring will be notified.

Those who refer will not receive any feedback, unless at the young person’s request.

If information needs to be divulged in a court case, the young person’s signed consent will be required. 


Children and Young People who would not be eligible to receive Counselling service

Those with mental health symptoms such as psychosis, intense depression, obvious eating disorders, PTSD.

Those with neuro-developmental and/or complex neuro-psychiatric disorders requiring an assessment from a multi-disciplinary team. 

Who else can help? We’re leading the fight for a future where all young minds are supported and empowered, whatever the challenges. We provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. We campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding. - Our website Hope Again ( is a website designed for young people by young people. It includes information and message boards where young people can share their experiences. - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)   BlackDog Video - 'I had a black dog, his name was depression'



Path: /SiteElements/Razor/FfeiliauADYaCh.cshtml
Error: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.